BY STEVE BORN
QUESTION: Does your whey protein have weight loss benefits if taken before bed?
Another component in Hammer Whey is the inclusion of a most-generous 6 grams of l-glutamine (amino acid; aka “glutamine”) per scoop. Taken near bedtime, glutamine allows for maximal release of Human Growth Hormone (HGH) during sleep, HGH being involved in a wide range of beneficial functions during the time while we’re sleeping, including weight loss.
Though most of the studies on glutamine supplementation focused more on obese people, when we’re overweight—even just a little—our body’s ability to produce HGH is severely impaired. As one site I reviewed stated “Since glutamine is a natural way to increase the levels of HGH in your blood, it can help offset the impairment. In turn, you can start to lose healthy amounts of body fat while increasing your lean body tissue.”
To obtain the full value of Whey Protein and the glutamine in it, you’ll want to consume it on an empty stomach, 2-3 hours or more after your last meal. It’s also important to mix Whey Protein in water only, as carbohydrates will blunt the weight-loss and HGH-producing effects.
Don’t Forget Phytolean and ChitoLean!
The days are still shorter, and for most of us it remains dark when we leave for work in the morning and dark when we get back home in the evening! Plus, it continues to be much colder in many areas of the country. These two factors may impact how often we're able to exercise and for how long, which can negatively affect our metabolism.
Though most of us do our best to eat the healthiest diet possible throughout the year, when it comes to the winter an months, many athletes resign themselves to weight gain, courtesy of training less and eating more (especially those tempting starch- and fat-laden foods and snacks).
Fortunately, Hammer Nutrition offers two outstanding products that provide a powerful assist in our weight loss/management efforts: Phytolean and ChitoLean.
The unique Phytolean formula contains an extract from the white kidney bean that has been shown to effectively block starchy carbohydrates from being absorbed and stored as fat. Phytolean also contains raspberry ketones, which enhance the breakdown ("burning") of fat while also inhibiting fat storage. Two capsules of Phytolean will block 300 grams (that's 1,200 calories!) of starchy carbohydrates from being absorbed and turned into stored fat.
The ChitoLean (pronounced: CHIT-uh-lean) formula is headed up by chitosan (CHIT-uh-san), a nutrient derived from shellfish that effectively binds with fat in the intestine and blocks absorption. This “fat blocking” effect not only assists with weight loss, but it also helps normalize cholesterol levels and aids in inhibiting unhealthy deposits of fat that accumulate in the lining of the artery wall.
With Phytolean and ChitoLean—and yes, you can use them both together!—you have an unbeatable weight-loss/weight-management combination!
Other Tips to Support Weight Loss
1) Eat 7-11 servings of whole fruits and vegetables daily, while decreasing your intake of meat and dairy. This dietary practice is associated with lower Body Mass Index (BMI) ratings, according to T. Colin Campbell's comprehensive "China Study" research. Dr. Campbell's research showed that Americans eating 50-70% of their 1,950 daily calories from animal sources averaged a BMI of 27.0. The Chinese eating 90% of their 2,740 calories per day from whole plant foods averaged a BMI of 22.0.
2) Consume 25-30 grams of fiber daily. In addition to supplying numerous health benefits, consuming adequate amounts of fiber helps you feel fuller on fewer calories.
3) Include healthy fats in your diet. When you deprive your body of fat, it holds on to its fat stores more voraciously. Eating healthy fats (fish, avocados, seeds, and nuts)—and using EndurOmega daily—is good for your heart, satisfies your hunger, and helps your body release and burn its fat stores more liberally and efficiently.
4) Drink a glass of water prior to each meal. The water will take up space in your stomach, increasing the feeling of fullness, helping you to consume fewer calories when you begin eating. Additionally make sure that you’re consuming enough water throughout the day. In addition to what you’re consuming during exercise, aim to consume fluids (mainly water) in amounts that reflect 0.5 to 0.6 of your body weight.
Example: 150 lb. person should consume 75 ounces (150 x 0.5) to 90 (150 x 0.6) ounces daily, again, in addition to what is being consumed during exercise.
5) Eat more slowly. Recent research suggests this helps reduce the amount of food that's consumed during a meal.
6) Alter your calorie intake occasionally. Consume slightly more calories than you normally would for a day or two, then consume a bit less than normal on a couple of days. This disrupts your body's "thermostat," helping prevent it from becoming super-efficient at burning the same number of calories day after day.
7) Finish eating by 7:00 pm. It is suggested that calories consumed after that time tend to digest poorly and/or be stored as body fat, due to the body's natural drop in core body temperature measures and metabolism.
8) Brush your teeth immediately after eating. Once you take the time to brush and are enjoying the sensation of clean teeth and breath, you're less apt to indulge in after-meal snacking.
9) Try to exercise in the morning. This raises metabolism and keeps it elevated, allowing you to burn more calories all day long.