BY STEVE BORN
This is the time of year when keeping those unwanted pounds off can be tough. Many of us are in off-season mode, meaning our time spent exercising has decreased. Plus, in colder weather, our bodies want to insulate in an effort to stay warm. Unfortunately, this makes putting on unwanted pounds nearly effortless.
A weight loss and weight management weapon that you may not have thought of is Hammer Nutrition's Whey Protein. The same Hammer Whey Protein that you depend on to help rebuild lean muscle tissue, reduce muscular soreness, and support a strong immune system also aids in protecting against weight gain.
1) Hormonal Effect of Whey Protein
The hormone cholecystokinin (CCK) acts as a regulator of appetite. Studies show that CCK is largely responsible for the feeling of fullness or satiety experienced after a meal, and that it helps with controlling appetite. Comparing whey protein and casein protein beverages, researchers in these studies noted that the whey protein group participants:
- Consumed significantly fewer calories than the casein group participants
- Reported a greater sense of fullness and satisfaction than those consuming the casein protein beverage
2) Whey Protein's Influence on Insulin Sensitivity
Research shows that whey protein helps increase insulin sensitivity (how responsive your cells are to insulin):
- One study compared whey protein and beef protein, with results showing that the whey protein caused a significant increase in insulin sensitivity versus the beef protein, with a 40% decrease in plasma insulin concentration. The researchers concluded, Whey protein is more effective than red meat in reducing body-weight gain and increasing insulin sensitivity. Whey thus appears to be an ideal protein source for promoting healthy blood sugar regulation and supporting weight loss.
- Another study compared the results from participants consuming either a whey protein/water mix or water only. The whey protein-drinking group showed improvements in glucose tolerance and insulin sensitivity over the water-drinking group.
3) Whey Protein's Superior BCAA Content
There is no richer source of BCAAs than whey protein isolate, and in a large study of nondiabetic men and women from various countries, researchers found that increased intake of BCAAs was associated with a lower adjusted risk of being overweight. The article "Reduce the Risk of Weight Gain: Branched-Chain Amino Acids May Help" discusses this in greater detail. It can be found on page 20 in Endurance News #74.
For muscle tissue repair, anti-inflammatory properties, immune system support, and more, whey protein isolate - Hammer Nutrition's Whey Protein - is unsurpassed in the world of protein powders. Powerful weight loss aid is an important feature in whey protein isolate's resume, so make sure you're using Hammer Whey Protein to help you achieve your weight management goals. Each scoop contains 17 grams of whey protein isolate with no fat and a mere 1 gram of carbohydrates. At only 70 calories per serving, you don't need to be worried about overdoing it calorie-wise.
Hammer Whey Protein is 100% grass-fed whey protein isolate. It is completely free of antibiotics and hormones, and other unnecessary and unhealthy ingredients. With six grams per serving of the multi-beneficial amino acid, glutamine, and loaded with immune-enhancing factors, including beta-lactoglobulin and alpha-lactalbumin, Hammer Whey Protein is the best whey protein powder on the market!