By Steve Born
With the staggering number of protein powders available, it's no wonder athletes come down with "puzzled by protein syndrome." But for maximizing lean muscle tissue repair, optimizing immune system function, safely elevating human growth hormone (hGH) levels, and more, the clear choice is Hammer Whey. With each scoop containing 18 grams of 100% whey protein isolate and 6 grams of glutamine, Hammer Whey gives your body the superior protein it demands.
Here are just a few reasons why Hammer Whey should be your go-to protein:
1) Whey protein isolate, NOT whey protein concentrate - This is probably the most important factor when selecting a whey protein. Read the label: what you want is whey protein isolate - not concentrate. Whey protein isolate contains 90-97% protein or more; whey protein concentrate contains only about 70- 80% protein or less. (Some whey protein concentrate powders can contain as little as 25% actual protein!) What's more, the whey protein isolate in Hammer Whey is virtually lactose- and fat-free; many people who are lactose-intolerant find they still can use the isolate form because it contains only a minuscule amount of lactose.
2) Superior protein quality - by any standard - Biological Value (BV) measures how well the body absorbs and uses a protein. Of all protein sources, whey has the highest BV, with whey protein isolate having an outstanding rating of 154, and whey protein concentrate having a 104 rating. Another standard, the Protein Efficiency Ratio (PER) measures the weight gain of lab rats fed test protein. Whey protein ranks the highest with a PER rating of 3.6. According to a third standard, the Protein Digestibility Corrected Amino Acid Score (PDCAAS), an ideal protein is one that meets all of the essential amino acid requirements for humans. An ideal protein receives a rating of 1.0. Three protein sources - whey, soy, and egg - have a 1.0 PDCAAS ranking. Bottom line: No matter how you slice it, whey protein comes out on top, with whey protein isolate as the preferable form of whey protein. Hammer Whey is 100% whey protein isolate.
3) Abundant glutamine - Each scoop of Hammer Whey contains a whopping 6,000 mg of the multi-beneficial amino acid glutamine. Of glutamine's many health and performance-enhancing benefits, perhaps the most significant is its contribution to hGH (human growth hormone) release. Studies have shown that supplementation with glutamine or a glutamine-enriched product (Hammer Whey) may safely raise hGH levels by as much as 400%! That's huge, especially when compared to the usual hGH spike that occurs during sleep. It's an extremely beneficial effect in terms of anabolic muscle building/maintaining activity in the body.
TIP : To safely raise hGH levels without risk to your endocrine system, prior to bed mix one scoop of Hammer Whey with 4-6 ounces of water and consume. Brush your teeth, hit the sack, and allow glutamine to do its thing while you sleep! You will absolutely notice the benefits, especially during high-volume training and racing.
4) Superior antioxidant support - Glutathione is one of the three antioxidants that occur naturally in your body, and many researchers consider glutathione the most important antioxidant of all. One of the most important steps we can tale to improve our recovery and maintain optimal health is to enhance levels of this important antioxidant - and one of the best ways to do that is to consume whey protein. Whey protein contains excellent levels of all three of the amino acids that comprise glutathione, as well as high levels of the sulfur-containing amino acid methionine.
5) No unnecessary ingredients - Many protein powders contain unnecessary artificial flavors or sweeteners. Some contain preservatives, and many of them entice you with insignificant amounts of vitamins, minerals, and auxiliary nutrients. All of these additives do little except increase the cost of the product and fool you into thinking that you're getting something worthwhile. Hammer Whey contains only whey protein isolate and glutamine, and is lightly sweetened with natural flavors and a touch of stevia.
LEARN MORE: Read more about this important topic in Hammer Nutrition's extensive Endurance Library.