Cellular health has a profound effect on performance and health
BY STEVE BORN
Maintaining the health of your mitochondria—your cells' energy-producing "furnaces"—is one of the most important keys to achieving your best athletic performance. Many athletes understand the importance of proper fueling, but often fail to realize the key role of mitochondria in athletic performance and overall health. As the mitochondria age, deteriorate, and/or become dysfunctional, athletic performance declines and the risk for age-related diseases, such as cancer, increases.
That's why I consider Mito Caps an essential daily supplement for athletes and non-athletes alike. The Mito Caps formula powerfully addresses the vitally important issue of mitochondrial health. Here's what you can expect from regular use of this critical supplement:
1. Greater energy and endurance because of improved cell energy metabolism. Two nutrients in the Mito Caps formula—acetyl l-carnitine (ALC) and r-alpha lipoic acid (R-ALA)—are responsible for this benefit.
- ALC, like all forms of l-carnitine, is the nutrient the body requires for efficient utilization of fatty acids for fuel. Additionally, ALC appears to reduce the depletion of ATP by forming acetyl-CoA, which one nutritional expert states "[is] the most important intermediary in the generation of energy from amino acids, fats, and carbohydrates."
- R-ALA is an essential cofactor for several multi-enzyme complexes (primarily the dehydrogenase complexes) that catalyze (increase the speed of a chemical reaction) critical energy metabolism reactions inside the mitochondria.
2. Improved use of fatty acids as fuel. The ALC component in Mito Caps is the key nutrient your body needs to utilize "fats for fuel." Mito Caps also contains ascorbyl palmitate, the fat-soluble form of vitamin C, which enhances the bioavailability of carnitine, resulting in greater fat utilization capabilities. Ascorbyl palmitate also has antioxidant properties.
3. Brain protection, enhanced cognitive function. Only the ALC form of l-carnitine is able to cross the blood-brain barrier, where it provides antioxidant support for the brain and protects its cells from toxic chemicals. ALC also provides acetyl groups, which may be used in the formation of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine, which is involved in cognitive function. DMAE (dimethylaminoethynol), a nutrient found in fish, stimulates the production of choline, which in turn allows the brain to optimize production of acetylcholine.
4. Superior recovery and immune system support. Nearly every nutrient in the Mito Caps formula—ALC, R-ALA, ascorbyl palmitate, vitamin E, DMAE, PABA (Para Amino Benzoic Acid)—has powerful antioxidant properties. R-ALA is particularly impressive, as it is believed to be the only nutrient that functions as both a water- and fat-soluble antioxidant, with the ability to quench several different types of free radicals. Additionally, R-ALA enhances glutathione levels in the body. Glutathione is one of the primary antioxidants produced directly by the body, and it plays a key role in immune system health. R-ALA can also revitalize and extend the "lifespan" and potency of nutrients such as CoQ10, vitamin C, and vitamin E.
No question about it, the unique Mito Caps formula helps mitochondria work more efficiently and stay healthier. As Bill Misner, Ph.D., summarizes, "The longer you can stimulate the lifespan or health of the mitochondria, the longer you will live and the better you will perform in endurance events. The athlete who has the most healthy/efficient mitochondria is the athlete who performs at their best."
Want yet another reason to take Mito Caps daily? Check out this article!