BY STEVE BORN
We’re coming into the time of year that I often refer to as “the season of sugar.” From Halloween, through Thanksgiving and Christmas—pretty much until the end of the year—there are going to be a LOT of sweets readily available. And while an occasional sweet treat or tasty dessert is certainly acceptable (life’s too short not to indulge once in a while), this is a time of year that can really derail your diet and your training goals… and you need to be very cognizant of that!
What does this have to do with Hammer Gel? Plenty! As sugar becomes more and more prevalent during these next couple of months—it’s going to be everywhere you look!—it should serve as a reminder that you not only need to strictly limit the sugary candies and foods in your diet, you also need to avoid sugar in your fuel. That’s why you should use Hammer Gel in your workouts and events.
There are tons of energy gels on the market, and Hammer Gel might look similar to a lot of them, but it’s what’s inside that counts. Just take a look at the label. If you see anything ending in “ose” (e.g. glucose) listed on there, that energy gel contains simple sugar. By the way, if you see “cane sugar” or “honey” listed on the label, that too is simple sugar.
Simple sugar is something you want to avoid. Aside from the serious and multiple threats to your health, simple sugar causes rapid, performance-ruining swings in energy levels, as well as digestive distress.
The bottom line is using simple sugars to fuel your body is similar to lighting a piece of paper on fire. You get a fast heat but it's a very limited amount. It burns out quickly and you have to continually feed the fire. That's flat-out inefficient and counterproductive. Check the labels on energy gels for "-ose" sugar, cane sugar, or honey and avoid it; you don't want or need that garbage in your body.
Instead, rely on Hammer Gel which contains the complex carbohydrate maltodextrin and absolutely no added simple sugars. Here’s why maltodextrin is a superior carbohydrate:
- Maltodextrin has a Glycemic Index value of 100, which is equal to glucose (100) and higher than sucrose (58-65) and fructose (12-25). Maltodextrin raises blood sugar and energy levels as effectively as glucose and does it faster than other simple sugars, a highly desirable effect during and immediately following exercise.
- Maltodextrin allows the body to digest a greater volume of calories than simple sugars without a delayed exit from the GI tract. This minimizes and can eliminate the potential for stomach distress (no gut bombs!) while supplying the body with more calories for energy production. As one nutritional scientist states, “maltodextrin allows one to swallow more energy in less volume.”
- Maltodextrin is dozens upon dozens of saccharide molecules weakly bonded together, which is why it’s referred to as a complex carbohydrate. Compared to simple sugars—which are only one- or two-chain saccharide molecules—maltodextrin provides a more stable, longer-lasting energy without the “flash and crash” that’s normally associated with simple sugars.
Use Hammer Gel to experience:
- Smooth and easy digestion
- No “gut bomb” effects—bloating, nausea, acid reflux, diarrhea, and more—that occur from products containing inferior ingredients
- Quick-acting, long-lasting energy
- A variety of palate-pleasing flavors
Since 1995, Hammer Gel has set the pace for providing athletes with quality carbohydrate energy in a convenient, concentrated form. In today's flooded market of energy products, Hammer Gel remains uniquely formulated to ensure peak athletic performance—every time!